Measure affects a total of 13.000 bookings

Transavia cancels 240 flights from Schiphol Airport

With a number of measures such as strongly reducing the sale of tickets and changing flights from Amsterdam to Rotterdam and Eindhoven airports, Transavia has ‘limited’ the impact for passengers on their flight as much as possible. Unfortunately, the cancellation of flights is also necessary to meet the reduction in capacity.

For the period from 7 July to 14 August 240 flights will be cancelled. Overall more than 70% of the affected passengers can be offered an alternative flight. Passengers for whom there was no alternative, will immediately receive a refund of the ticket costs or can postpone their journey to another time (28 Aug 2022 – March 2023).

Transavia has today informed all affected passengers flying between 7 July and 14 August. A second round of cancellation will be announced mid July for flights leaving between 1 and 28 August.

When cancelling flights, other solutions for passengers such as the departure from another airport or departure on a different day were also considered as much as possible. For 70% of the total of more than 13,000 bookings, this has been successful and passengers are offered an alternative flight. They can choose this, or request a refund. For the other 30% of the bookings, no immediate solution was found. They were immediately refunded the cost of the ticket or can rebook their ticket for the period after 28 August without any change costs.

“Transavia deeply regrets that it has to disappoint passengers due to this capacity reduction as a result of the staff shortage at Schiphol,” says Marcel de Nooijer, CEO of Transavia. “After two corona years, many Dutch people were in desperate need of a carefree trip again. We do everything we can to get as many passengers as possible to travel and can offer the majority of travelers an alternative. But there is a group that is affected by this reduction in capacity. That hurts. Disappointing passengers goes completely against our customer focus, we like to give as many travelers as possible a nice holiday. In addition, we also need it to be able to fly fully again to become financially healthy. This is a huge disappointment for our passengers and for our company. The forced reduction of the number of passengers is highly undesirable and must be one-off and short-lived.”